Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Sontag


Sontag was an interesting read for me because she brought up many ideas that I strongly agree with, like the idea that there is such a thing as over interpretation a piece of art. I believe that some art may not have a strong meaning behind it. Maybe the artist was just bored that day and wanted to draw something happy or sad and didn’t mean anything else by that piece of art. Modern society reads way too much into almost everything. Nothing can be just what it is. And Sontag mentions this and she gives the example of modern novelist.
Why can’t a book just be read for pure enjoyment? I like reading, and I like reading and not having to analyze why the author chose a certain word choice or what symbolism the author was using. Why can’t what’s on the page really be what’s meant to be read? Why does society have to always read further when sometimes the artist doesn’t want them too? 

1 comment:

  1. I strongly agree that there is not necessarily an intense meaning behind an artwork. I am a photographer, and I have been drawing and painting since I was about 8 years old, and there is not always meaning behind my photographs or artworks.

    ReplyDelete