Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Pottery

Pete Pinnel Fluted Cup
My favorite type of art to make is pottery. I would say that I have a pretty decent ability to make pottery. I wish I had pictures to post of some of my own work, but it is all at home. I started taking pottery classes during my freshman year of high school. I had two amazing teachers, Burki Gladstone and Claire Reishman. I started out small and very bad. Some of my first little cups are not very symmetrical, but I got better. After 2.5 years of taking pottery I was able to throw teapots and pitchers and even make replicas of more well known potters. One of my favorite potters was Pete Pinnell. I made many replicas of his pots. He is well known for his attention to detail in his designs and etchings on each piece.

I would really enjoy taking pottery classes again, but Tech is much of an art school. My high school had one of the best pottery facilities in the country; even better than most colleges, so I was very fortunate. I learned a great deal about pottery and found an art form that I am passionate about. Pottery is something that takes time. I encourage everyone to try it. Not just once, give it a while because no one is a natural. Its a great way to express yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment