Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Photography by People Like Us



While we were on the subject of photography, I couldn't help but think about several of my very talented friends. I don't know what constitutes a professional photographer, but my friend Jackson Spencer could take my wedding pictures any day and I'm sure I would like them better than anyone else's work. He does amazing work with everyday objects and lighting. I picked two of my favorite photos by him. The first focusing on an abandoned shed. The black hole in the middle of the picture captures my attention first, and something about not knowing what's inside intrigues me. I love the color scale and how the shed seems to random in such a dense forest. Why would a shed be built there in the first place? Kind of creepy right? The photo really emphasizes this feeling for me. 


The second picture I chose to post is naturally amazing because of the clouds, but the way the lighting makes the person and trees completely black makes the contrast of the sky so much greater. The first thing you see when you look at this picture is the person, then you notice to clouds. The face that is captured in this moment is a one in a million shot. Its something a little kid dreams of seeing when they are pointing out cloud animals. Or is is something that is photoshoped in. As far as I know, this is not a photoshoped cloud. I wish I had the ability to use a camera the way Jackson did. He did complement a picture of my dog once. But for the most part, I just snap pictures whenever and don't think about what they will look like or how lighting will effect the shot. The way he can make nature look ever more beautiful and use lighting to highlight the most fascinating aspects of a scene will always continue to amaze me. 

A quick biography of Jackson Spencer: 
He grew up outside of Washington D.C.. At the beginning of his sophomore year of high school, he began boarding school in Sewanee, TN, which is where I met him. He is now currently enrolled in the University of the South in Sewanee, TN. 

3 comments:

  1. I particularly appreciate this post about Jackson and the one about Stephen (previously). I agree with you that they are both quite talented photographers. Jackson, I believe, has an exceptional artistic eye and Stephen, coincidentally enough, has helped Jackson hone this ability by being his mentor of sorts. Jackson has had the rare opportunity to work with Stephen and has reaped many benefits.

    OK, I confess, I'm another blogger with an ArtIsEverywhere site, who happens to know both Jackson and Stephen. I thought your blog was so perceptive, Taylor, that I think you deserve some followers. Everyday is an art discovery in the blogosphere. Happy art finding and keep on doing the great job that you've started. -- Ashley Spencer

    PS: Jackson was looking for comments. I hope he doesn't mind this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ashley. I've always appreciated Jackson's art. All of his art. I encouraged his pottery skills while we took clay together even though he preferred more abstract works and I was much more functional with my pottery. I even enjoyed his music he created quite a while ago, I think he doesn't like it though. I think he is very talented, and I know that he enjoys art!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where is this shed located? I'm obsessed! ;)

    ReplyDelete